When it comes to search engine optimisation (SEO), there are various on-page elements that need to be optimised to increase visibility and attract organic traffic. One of these elements is meta data, which includes meta titles and meta descriptions. Keep reading to find out how to successfully use these SEO features.
What Are Meta Titles?
Meta titles, also known as title tags or page titles, are HTML elements that provide a brief description of a webpage's content. These titles are displayed in search engine results pages (SERPs) and provide a clickable link to the corresponding webpage. Meta titles are essential for both human visitors and search engines as they provide an idea of what the webpage is about and how it may fulfil the searcher's query.
Why Are Meta Titles Important?
Meta titles play a crucial role in SEO as they can help search engines understand the relevance and quality of a webpage's content. It is crucial to craft clear and concise titles that accurately describe the webpage's content to increase click-through rates (CTR) and improve rankings. When creating meta titles, you should:
- Place the keyword near the beginning of the title: Search engines generally give more weight to the first few words in the title tag. Including the primary keyword as close to the beginning as possible can help search engines understand the content's relevance.
- Keep titles short: Ideally, titles should be between 55-60 characters long (including spaces) to avoid truncation in search results.
- Write for humans: Your title should be descriptive, accurate, and readable for human visitors. You want to include the search terms your target audience would enter in their search queries - this will help with organic search results too.
- Use descriptive words: Words such as "how," "why," "what," and "where" can help attract clicks and provide additional context about the webpage's content.
- Use enticing words: Words like "best," "review," and "ultimate" can help entice users to click on your webpage.
- Write unique titles: Each webpage should have a unique title that accurately reflects its content. Duplicate titles can cause confusion for both search engines and users.
- Use your brand name: Including your brand name in the title can help increase brand awareness and recognition.
Overall, crafting an accurate and compelling meta title can improve the click-through rate and ultimately improve search engine rankings.
What Are Meta Descriptions?
A meta description is an HTML element that provides a brief summary of a webpage's content. This description appears below the meta title in search results and provides additional information about the webpage's content. Although meta descriptions may not directly impact SEO rankings, a well-crafted description can attract clicks and improve CTR, leading to improved rankings.
Why Are Meta Descriptions Important?
Meta descriptions provide a concise summary of a webpage's content and help searchers decide whether to click on the webpage or not. They also help search engines understand the webpage's relevance to a particular query. When creating meta descriptions, you should:
- Keep descriptions short: Ideally, meta descriptions should be between 140-160 characters long (including spaces).
- Include a call to action: Encouraging users to "discover more" or "learn more" can help improve CTR.
- Use primary keywords: Including primary keywords in the meta description can help search engines understand the webpage's content.
- Write naturally: Your description should be written in a natural, readable way that accurately reflects the webpage's content.
- Target emotions: Consider how you want the user to feel when they read your description and use words that appeal to those emotions.
- Use unique descriptions: Each webpage should have a unique meta description that accurately reflects its content.
- Avoid giving away too much: While your description should accurately reflect your content, it's important not to give away too much information. You want to entice users to click through to the webpage for more information.
- Use a SERP simulator to check how your website listing would appear in search engine results (SERPs). Using a SERP simulator tool is important because it allows you to see how your meta titles and descriptions will appear in search engine results pages before they are live on your website. This can help you identify any issues with the length of your titles and descriptions, or with how they appear in search results. Mangools have a great free tool that you can try out - click here to find it.
Webflow Makes Meta Data Easy
Webflow provides users with the ability to add meta data to their website, which is essential for optimising their site for search engines. With Webflow's intuitive interface, users can easily add meta titles and descriptions to each page of their website, ensuring that search engines and users understand the content and purpose of each page.
Additionally, Webflow allows users to add alt tags to images, improving accessibility and further optimising their site for popular search engines. Overall, Webflow's built-in meta data tools make it easy for users to improve their website's SEO and increase their online visibility.
By following these best practices for writing effective meta titles and descriptions, you can improve the visibility and click-through rate of your website in search engine results pages. This can ultimately lead to more traffic to your website, which can increase your chances of generating leads and sales.
It's important to keep in mind that while meta titles and descriptions are important for search engine optimisation, they should also be written with the user in mind. You want to make sure that your titles and descriptions accurately reflect the content of your webpages and provide users with a compelling reason to click through to your site.
By taking the time to write high-quality meta titles and descriptions for your webpages, you can improve your chances of ranking well in search engine results pages, driving more traffic to your site, and ultimately achieving your online marketing goals.
Get in touch today to discover how to improve your website's SEO, increase traffic and appear at the top of the SERPs!